Friday, May 1, 2009

MILLICENT KNIGHT, HAPPY IN HER OWN SKIN

Eat, drink and be merry”. Laughing heartily, 98 year old Millicent Knight OD, educator extraordinaire and a former Headmistress of Westwood High School declared that this was her formula for a long healthy life. I had not seen this great Jamaican for over half a century, but when I phoned her at the nursing home where she now lives, I was absolutely surprised at how young and vigorous she sounded. Presumptuously I asked he if she remembered me (I gave her my maiden name). No she replied hesitantly, and then added quickly “Are you related to Collector Marshall?” When I told her he was my late father, She quickly replied “Oh yes, he did have a rude little daughter who used to swing on the gate”. Sheepishly, I admitted to having been the culprit but quickly added that I was now over sixty. All my life I had regarded this great educator with awe as did almost everyone in Stanmore, Malvern and the environs. For guess what, I remember it being whispered every time she appeared that she had been the first black girl to attend the prestigious Hampton Girls School (best known at the time for its elitism at and racism). We kids, I am reminded by my brother, even used to speculate that she would have had to powder her skin white to get into Hampton! Everyone spoke about her brilliance and as a child I used to watch her stroll up the aisle of the Bethlehem Moravian Church to play the piano and I was always enthralled at how this staid and circumspect looking person became full of life the moment the music got to her. Millicent Knight, the first child and only girl of seven children, was born in Stanmore in St. Elizabeth and went to St. Albans Primary school before attending Hampton School. According to her, she cannot remember a day when she did not want to follow in the footsteps of her parent and become a teacher. So brilliant was she that on graduating from Hampton High School in 1930, she immediately went to Bethlehem Training College to teach English and Maths to students older than herself. While there she did an intermediate BA as an external student then later traveled to the University of Toronto to complete her studies. After graduation, she again returned to teaching at Bethlehem and was soon promoted to the post of Vice Principal. Her next move was to St. Hilda’s Girls School in Brown’s Town, St. Ann before moving on in 1965 to become Headmistress of Westwood High School in Stewart Town. Coincidentally, Westwood was established in 1880 to give coloured girls the opportunity to get higher education. According Mrs. Logan, one of the headmistresses who succeeded her, the academic standards at Westwood improved greatly during Miss Knight’s and there was a marked improvement in discipline and religious training. Ms. Knight was also lauded for her foresight as she became an avid fundraiser both locally and overseas with a view improving the accommodation and facilities at the school. Those who succeed her carried on the programme and used the funds to construct the William Webb auditorium and the Princess Alice Dormitory. One of her former students, Elara, also concurs with the view on the improvement in educational standards, but she went further to state that Miss Knight brought Maths to life and whereas this had never been a strong subject among girls, they started to excel in the subject under her tutelage. She also remembers Miss Knight as a strong disciplinarian but never unfair or spiteful and someone who had a great sense of humor and a healthy laugh. “In fact, I would say she was always comfortable in her own skin, something not common among black women at that time”, she added. On retiring in 1976 Ms. Knight returned to St. Elizabeth and her alma mater, where she went to help her friend Gloria Wesley-Gammon then Headmistress of Hampton Girls School. There she taught Maths and English for a few years before leaving the teaching profession for good. Miss Knight laughed as she told me that she and Miss Wesley-Gammon had been school- mates at Hampton so the stories of her being the first black girl to go to that school could not have been true. “While it made good folk lore,” she laughed, “there were in fact a number of black students there by the time I got there!” After leaving teaching, she became a lay preacher and religious activist at St. Albans, the Anglican Church at Stanmore, (where she had always been a member although being active in the Moravian Church) and moved back to her parents’ home where she lived with a brother. When he died, she moved upon to Kingston to live with another brother and having outlived him, moved into the nursing home where she now resides. If ever anyone has debunked all my fears about old age, it is Millicent Knight. To begin with, she has a fantastic memory although she often complains that she forgets some things and is totally up to date with all that is happening. (I saw no evidence of forgetfulness!) She is an extremely happy and healthy 98 year old who reads the newspaper from start to finish every day and without glasses. She admits that she automatically solves mathematical problems if she has nothing to do and adds that she can eat anything and loves spicy food. So her relatives have to keep her supplied with hot sauces since nursing homes catering to the elderly stay far from the spices, she adds laughingly. She has a telephone in her room and keeps in constant touch with friends and relatives. While she has no serious illnesses, because her legs are weak, she goes around in her wheelchair but can move around in her room on her own. Spending time with this outstanding Jamaican was extremely inspiring for me, but I just could not help getting answers to two burning questions. “Are you sorry you never got married and have children “ I asked her .The quick reply was “Absolutely not, for I have seen too many women suffer greatly in marriage and because of the actions of their children.” Then the whammer. “How come you remembered that I used to swing on the gate? She laughed heartily. “Because your parents were staunch PNP’s and you used to swing on the gate and call out to people telling them to vote for the JLP!” After I left, I mulled over the scenario which must really have seemed quite outlandish to the adults, but I couldn’t help thinking how lucky I had been not to have been born in a garrison, for had I been, that childish prank could have lead to my entire family being harmed, in Jamaica land we love!

4 comments:

joan williams said...

Miss Knight died in April 2011.

Valerie C Smart said...

Thank you Joan for this wonderful tribute. I thank God for teachers as dedicated as Miss Millicent Knight. She has had many children who she has given to the world through her labor of love, especially as principal of Westwood girls high school, and she will have countless grand children and great grandchildren. She will ever speak in their lives and bless many generations until Jesus comes again. I hope to meet her up in heaven. Valerie Smart White .

Marjorie knight said...

Wow I came upon this article so long after it was written.it's a wonderful visit with my Aunt for whom I was named. She was a mother to every niece and nephew and grandmother to their children. Mother's day cards and celebration indeed. She was and Ĺ•mains a phenomenal role model and example to all women. Thank you for your words!

Anonymous said...

Thank you She was my mother's relative
(Victoria Knight)