Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ash Wednesday and all that




-->
On Ash Wednesday 2010 Fun and Thrills had a real nice excursion to Reggae Falls in St. Thomas. Around 8 or 9 vehicles laden with bicycles and around 40 persons set off in the morning to the round about in Morant Bay where we jumped on our bicycles for the reasonably easy ride to the falls.They seem to be looking at the falls for some type of development there as the National Works Agency has installed a metre to measure the volume of water coming through. Those falls are not natural anyway but are the remnants of a hydro-electric plant which operated there many years ago.

We really a nice frolic swimming, dominoes, barbecuing, eating and drinking (even jankro batty was there!) while the young beauties sunned themselves. Incidentally, would you believe that Fatman and Chin You who we gave 9 love on New Year’s Day gave Stevie and I 6 love? Anyway thats dominoes. If you can give it you gotta be able to take it.

Around 1 pm when the rains started, everyone (who should have already been wet from swimming in the river!) grabbed up their belongings and prepared for the return journey. That’s when Stewie arrived with my domino table. Remind me never to give it to him to bring in the future! Anyway, dominoes is great on any table so we really did not need it.

Quite a number of persons rode back to the gas station (I didn't) and I understand that one of of Marlon's (Michael Chuck's son) friends had a slight spill on descending the hill into Seaforth, but he did not really get badly hurt.His type of spill is not iin the classic realm set by Barry!

Charles provided the excitement for the day by driving out through a deep section of the river (he takes the propaganda that these SUVs’ are all terrain vehicles, seriously I suppose) and getting the shock of feeling his packed vehicle sinking as he got stuck. Fun and Thrills has a number of super fit males however so in a matter of minutes they had him on his way.

The Sunday ride was as usual up to Maryland where Coy cooks that excellent breakfast. There used to be a famous ad in the olden days saying, "I will walk a mile for a camel." In my case, I am now riding uphill for two hours on a Sunday just for Coy's breakfast and it is worth it every time.

Incidentally, Howie, one of role models, took some garbage bags up with him so he could pick up the garbage strewn all around the swimming area. Great move.

As for me, I aint swimming in that cold water until summer comes and the weather warms up. But that did not stop Michelle and Orrel from combing the cold river for my body today. After the long ride up to Maryland, some of my old muscles were feeling a bit stiff so I started to walk to get them back in form. Ended up at the old spot where we used to go before the villagers dammed up the section where we now swim. When Michelle and Orrel arrived and saw my bicycle and did not see me in the water, Michelle said they started to look around to see if I had washed away.. Thankfully, I hadn’t!
For more photos at Reggae falls, go to;http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=187234&id=763366822&saved

No comments: