Sunday, April 11, 2010

Caymans River




It is said that Jamaica has more churches per square mile than any other country in the world. Given that fact, I am therefore not surprised that this is is also on of the most violent countries in the world with a murder rate that sees us in the top three in the world. For I have always found the doctrines espoused by Christians to be extremely violent. I will never forget the time I was speaking to a gunman who said he was a devout Christian. He said he killed people because he wanted to be like King David who slayed his enemies! I was not of course taken in by this pretence, but have always found that the more the people claim to be Christians the more dishonest and brutal they tend to be. Of course, I might be completely wrong in coming to this conclusion, but that is my experience.

Anyway, I don't know why my mind is straying to religion. I guess it is because I was observing with fascination a number of baptisms that took place at Caymans river yesterday while we were there . Most amazing was the fact that they offered to baptise me and when I enquired if one did not require preparation,.....bible study etc., they said no. This was just another of the thousands of churches in the island. I don't quite remember the name. I believe they said something like "Lipperman" Church and said it was international and their branch met at Baron's plaza on Constant Spring Road near me.

The ride to Caymanas River was very nice with probably about 25 riders coming along. It was an easy ride, flat road all the way. The water was great as was breakfast. My problem was the return journey when the sun was really blazing down. We took the shortcut which comes out above the toll road exit. It is really a lot shorter. I rode back with Andrew and he became a bit dehydrated. Anyway, a support vehicle appeared as we were at the gas station at Dunrobin Avenue and Constant Sporing road getting an energy drink so they took care of him and all is well as I talked to him today. I understand that Johhny Chuck, proably the most experienced rider in our group, was also affected by the sun and fell. Hope he is now ok.


More pictures are at; http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#!/album.php?aid=201747&id=763366822&ref=mf

No comments: