Friday, March 11, 2011

F&T ride to Pennants , Clarendon


Ash Wednesday was a memorable day for quite a few fun and thrillers. Poor Richard had a terrible fall on the train line in May Pen and hurt himself badly. Alrick says he also fell in Old Harbour and hurt himself. Naomi told me she blacked out on reaching May Pen and Charles and Michael had some sibling rivalry which led Charles to take a minibus home thus missing the lovely breakfast etc.

On the other hand, I had a wonderful day, not least of all because the stewed pork was so delicious that I did not bother to try anything else that Solay's mom had been so nice to prepare.

I found the ride to May Pen quite easy as it was all flat and when one of the champion riders, Kevin, passed me at Sandy Bay, I kept up with him for the rest of the way. Just about there Howie zipped past us and about five minutes later, Barry, and I never saw them again until we got to Pennants.

Of course, despite the fact that I contradicted Juju about the number of hills we would encounter from May Pen to Pennants, I was not about to ride any further than May Pen. Since my mother was from Chapelton and I have been there numerous times, I had been telling her there was only one major hill. The one I was thinkingly of was the one coming into Chaptelon proper. I don't know how I could have forgotten about the killer hill named Sourspop hill. Luckily I was driving!

I got to Pennants about 11 am after leaving home at 5.15am, and on arrival, headed straight for the kitchen.

The tired riders arrived one by one up to 12.30 pm. On the way to the river later, Michael and I stopped to see young Grab (Mother Williams' youngest brother) who lives at the bottom of the hill. I have not seen him for about 40 years and although he said he was 79 years old, he looked 50 despite having lost a leg to diabetes.

We drove down through his property to what is the warmest river I have ever swum in. It was not as scenic, deep or nice at the one at Cudjoe Hill, but I enjoyed it anyway. I thought it was the Rio Minho, but I understand it is a tributary named Thomas river.

Got back to town about 5.30 pm after another fine day of riding and camaraderie with my fellow riders from F&T, MTR.

No comments: