Thursday, December 1, 2011

Kudos UTECH

The University of Technology has always been my favourite local tertiary institution and they have risen further in my estimation with the announcement  in today's Jamaica Observer, that they have been operating of a Legal Advice Centre "......to provide legal advice for members of the public who are socially, economically and otherwise disadvantaged" since July this year. And to think their legal department is fairly new!

KUDOS UTECH, as usual you fill a need.

Kudos too to Legal Aid for jumping to take the excessive sentence of 90 days in jail for stealing 46 ackees which was handed down by RM Pusey against Junior Christie, to appeal and getting bail for him in the interim. One would have thought this role would have been undertaken by the Public Defender's office,  but with  their poor performance record, it is as well.

Thank God, we are finally seeing a trickling of institutions that are working in the interest of the poor and dispossessed in this country. If only the myriad of other publicly funded institutions mandated to perform similar functions would resolve to start giving taxpayers value for money, 2012 could be a great year.



Yes, I am a dreamer!

3 comments:

Barry said...

That other one named UWI fell in my estimation years ago when I paid for a year-long programming course and then discovered that I knew more than the tutor. I spent the first month helping the teacher and class before abandoning the whole thing.

UWI looks after all web sites and email in Jamaica that have an internet address of www.anything.jm. Last week they messed up the whole thing for three days. Therefore no website or email with the .jm domain extension (mostly government) could be accessed Thurs to Sat last week! If our country was less casual with business, UWI would have had the daylights sued out of them.

joan williams said...

UWI does not have a good reputation among local business people and from what Barry has posted , I can see why!

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog
and I am impressed! Extremely helpful info specially the last part :) I care for
such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time.
Thank you and best of luck.

my site - Xt Genix Supplement