Monday, January 30, 2012

A Hell of a Fright

After driving for 48 year, I guess I have just been very lucky never to have had a head on crash. Well until today and it was a frightening scenario.

Here I was coming back to Kingston after one of the most memorable weekends in my life topped off with Celine Dion's fantastic performance at the jazz and /blues festival. We were in a great mood listening to music with the windows up. Coming down Mt. Roosser, quite slowly, thank god, I suddenly saw a huge trailer right in front of me on my side of the road, around a corner. In fact, I was so frightened that I thought it was on top of me.

Instinctively I slammed my brake but the car felt like it was not about to stop. Actually, I discovered afterwards that the car did stop but it was the truck barreling towards me that made It feel that way. Then came the impact, throwing me forward.

I hate seat belts but always wear them on long country runs and today was no difference. The impact made a big noise but then I realised that nothing had happened to us, just the car. Boy that Chev Aveo is fantastic. Although my right front side was badly mauled, there is a solid piece of iron under the plastic bumper so the damage was minimal but the big, ominous truck was so frail that the bumper came in on  his wheel and he had to pry it off with a piece of iron before being able to drive off.

Of course we could not get the police. 119 tried and the phone at the Ewarton was not working. They gave me the number and I tried also to no avail. In the meantime the traffic started to pile up behind us. One poor lady cried that she was on the way to the airport and was going to miss her flight. I had no problem moving after getting the particulars from the trailer driver, but he wanted to stay till the police got there. Eventually an off duty cop instructed him to clear the road and go report the accident.


Alls well that ends well.  I celebrated my near miss with some delicious jerk pork at Ewarton.

2 comments:

Barry said...

Very glad that you're ok Joan! I was planning to call you to hear how you are. Is it a new Aveo that you bought?

joan williams said...

Thanks Barry. Its a 2007 Aveo and in my book now, the greatest car in the world!