Wednesday, June 19, 2013

EXTORTION AT MEGAMART

I was today, victim to a most disgraceful case of extortion by Megamart, Upper Waterloo Road.

They, like many other organizations, in an effort to stem vehicle theft, give drivers a card on entry which you are told "not to leave in the car" and which you must  be returned on exit to prove you are not leaving with
stolen vehicle.

Unfortunately, today I lost my card, (right there in Megamart) and was unlawfully detained for at least half hour by an extremely rude security guard,  although I produced my driver’s license and papers to prove ownership of the vehicle.
That ought to have enough, but no,  Megamart has clearly now found a way extorting money from persons stupid enough to patronize their business! So I was forced to pay $500 before being allowed to leave their premises.

I was told that the $500 is to replace the card, a dirty piece of paper in a plastic which could cost no
more than  $100 to produce. To add insult to injury, because their card was lost in their premises, most likely,  it will be turned in back to them anyway so the $500 was nothing but plain, unadulterated extortion.


IF THIS IS HOW MEGAMART TREATS PEOPLE WHO OPT TO SPEND THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY WITH THEM, I SHUDDER TO THINK HOW THEY MUST TREAT THOSE TO WHOM THEY HAVE TO PAY MONEY!

3 comments:

Barry said...

I had the same experience at General Foods in Liguanea.
I misplaced the card and the security guard wanted $600 to 'replace the card'. I complained and told I was going to the manager of General Foods about it. The guard then consulted another guard and the offending guard then opened the gate straight away.
At Soverign there's no such problem. They just need to see some car documents and then yiou're out.

joan williams said...

At least you can find someone to complain to at General Foods. At megamart you have to go to Customer Service and pay the $500 before they let you out. My solution is never to go there again.

Better-ledger said...

Better Ledger offers outsourced bookkeeping and accounting services in US. Get the Small Business virtual bookkeeping services at affordable prices.