Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Religion and Violence

As I have  tried to understand the love of  violence by the Jamaican people which has caused us to be number 6 in terms of countries with the highest number of murders per capita, yet according to the Guinness book of world records, we also boast the highest number of churches per square, I have been becoming more and more convinced that there is a direct relationship.

This small payer meeting was the only sign of religious activity I saw in a 146 km drive from Holguin to Frank Pais on good Friday!

More specifically, I have surmised  that our penchant for violence has something to do with our love for the Old Testament, which is in my book, one of the most violent publications ever unleashed on this world.

My views are even more reinforced now that I have returned to Cuba and seen that people there have no interest in religion although religious freedom is in no way restricted, yet they are such peaceful and loving people with a very low rate of violent confrontation .

Yessome people tell me that it is because they have a repressive government but  Latin America is replete with a history of repressive governments while retaining their  love for religion yet the murder rates in countries like Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador are running Jamaica hard!

Yes sir, until I can find a more logical explanation, I remain even more convinced that as long as the Old Testament is drummed into the heads of our children, we have no hope of ever becoming a civilised,  peaceful, loving society!

No comments: