Saturday, February 7, 2015

High Mountain 5k

Sunday 25th January 2015 was the first time I participated in a High Mountain event, although members of my group, Fun and Thrills are always well represented.

The is because it always clashes with the Jazz and Blues festival which is held in Falmouth on the last weekend of January every year but thank heavens the High mountain organizers changed their event to the second to last weekend this year.

This was the 32nd year of the event and I had really wanted to attend since learning from one of the organizers that the funds raised were going to buy dialysis machines for the Mandeville hospital, for ever since my best friend Hilma died from kidney complications, I have been very concerned about that particular sickness.

I was however disappointed at the turnout as there seem to have been more sponsors and vendors than participanbts but it was not well advertised this year for some reason.

Vendors abounded
I enjoyed participating  however and it was a very convenient date. For I had an outside broadcast from Santa Cruz on the Friday before and had to attend a birthday party in Mandeville on Friday night. So I stayed over in Mandeville and went to Black River on Saturday to pick up a sucking pig from Michael , a good friend from school days. He had promised it to me for the party the following week. So after hanging out with him and his wife Pearl all day Saturday, we went back to Mandeville, so on the Sunday I was fit and ready to drive to nearby Williamsfield for the event.

 Of course while I only entered the 5k walk, some of the Fun a and Thrills members even entered the 10 running segment. Fit lot!

The 5k route took us from Williamfield, on the picturesque  and undulating route to Mile Gully then  the through the Windalco Bauxite property and back. It was a pleasxant route and the rain even fell to cool us down.



I walked at an ordinary pace with Michael Chuck and we came close to last but no bug thing, we finished and it was great.

 The crowning point was  Michael and I driving back through Old Harbour and stopping for jerk pork at Farmers for "dinner."

Absolutely wonderful pork and a great way to end a wonderful weekend.


1 comment:

joan williams said...

I had tears of joys while reading this and can imagine each of those wonderful surprises unfolding to Bernie. This will be yet another thrilling memory for the rest of his life.Posted on behalf of /Barry who had a problem accessing the comment section.