Thursday, November 2, 2017

My first Haloween

Being a Jamaican, I have never celebrated Halloween, for as far as I am concerned, that is something American children do to be able to get as much sweets as they can, once per year.

Yes over the past decade or so,  I have heard that some rich kids in Jamaica have adopted this festival and some stores have even tried to promote it to boost sales. After all, who can blame them when it is revealed that in the USA only Christmas sales exceed the take from this event? Anyway, it still hasn't taken off in my island.

Sure my granddaughter who is American and grew up in the tradition, is always excited by the event. Her mother always sends me photos of her all dressed up and the costumes are always cute. This year she dressed as a dragon with the face of a cat. And she looked absolutely beautiful.  Her mom also takes her to many Halloween parties but she only attends security, never dressing up.

Toastmaster Wagner proudly models his innovative costume.
I was recently disabused of the impression that Halloween was for kids,  on joining a Toastmaster club in Florida and heard some adults there talking excitedly about what they were going to be doing for Halloween. Even our meeting which falls a day after the event, would be converted from its regular format to one where costumes would be worn and an exciting agenda presented, we were informed.

So I got very interested in  learning something new about the country to which I had recently moved. I was actually very curious to see the types of costumes the adults would come up with, but unfortunately only one member, Toastmaster Wagner, actually dressed up for the event and his costume was very creative.

However the agenda was quite appropriate as members were invited to act out a murder mystery instead of following the regular format.

Yup,  Toastmaster Tamara, (4th from left) did kinda look like a postmistress!
And they all played their parts well with one participant, the librarian, even dressed for the part.

It was a well thought-out murder plot which found even those of us who weren't participating directly, paying rapt attention to the clues throughout and even examining some of the actors to try and ascertain who the murderer was.

So if this is an example of an adult Halloween party, I think its a great idea. If on the other hand adult Halloween parties are people dressing up like witches and ghosts and going around shouting boo, I can't say I will ever consider it a worthwhile experience!

Incidentally,  I live in a very large apartment complex and deliberately walked around on Halloween night to see the kids in action, I did not see one child on the compound in costume. I wonder why? 

No comments: