Tuesday, February 6, 2018

INSECTS? HECK, WHY NOT!



How and what we eat has primarily to do with culture. 


I grew up as an unapologetic carnivore who hated vegetables. You see, I grew up on a farm where we had a lot of livestock, goats, rabbits, chickens cows etc and I observed from an early age that the animals ate green stuff like grass and green while we humans  ate the animals. So  naturally, the only vegetables I favored were those processed in the stomachs of the farm animals and I have never changed that diet! 


However, as I have matured, I started to have serious qualms about eating the poor animals. You see, I love  all  animals (that are not going to make a meal of me!) and have always tended to make pets of those that would allow me to. As a child, among my favorites were ducklings, rabbits, dogs and cats and although  I ate rabbits and ducks with relish, had for years tended to criticize those who ate cats and dogs.


However, I am now badly conflicted at the thought of eating all animals, as these creatures being slaughtered for our pleasure and convenience, have flesh, blood and feelings. This has also led me to become more understanding of how culture affects our diets, thus whereas cats and dogs have a special place in the hearts of some of us, so do cows to Hindus, so they would never think of eating them.  So the people who eat what we consider animals specially designed as pets, are no more evil than we are, for they have never contemplated using them as such but have always raised them only as food.  Who are fellow carnivores to condemn their culture therefore?


While, because of my culture,  I had once considered the very thought of consuming insects repulsive, I have warmed to the  scientists who are now seriously promoting this idea, (which is not at all new as it has been practiced in countries like China and Vietnam for centuries), as it seems to be not only nutritious but practical and useful.


For the fact is, most insects with the exception of things like bees, are nothing but disgusting pests that have no flesh or blood so probably feel no pain and worse, they bring a lot a of discomfort  and diseases to us humans!

 I am therefore positive  that where these can be tastily and  hygienically prepared, I would be able to consume them with not only delight, but a sense of satisfaction because I would be helping to  rid the world of dangerous pests, while eating healthily.


However, these are some insects like the cockroach, which, while I would like to help to eliminate from the face of the earth,  I would give a wide berth to, Yuck! 






No comments: