Friday, July 27, 2018

Justice at last

Wikipedia seems to be having problems deciding whether it was William Penn or William Gladstone who originated the wise saying "justice delayed is justice denied." I have no problem with that but  I know, it is an absolute truth as when it is delayed it is denied for numerous reasons.

The question therefore is, when will we ever get justice in Jamaica, for in my country, delays are the name of the game. 

I was reminded of this terrible situation two days ago, when I ACTUALLY GOT JUSTICE IN A TRAFFIC COURT IN FLORIDA AND WITHIN 20 MINUTES TO BOOT!

No justice delayed thus denied here at all!

My experience occurred when I decided to appeal a $32 ticket I received in Fort Lauderdale, for overstaying my time at a parking meter.

But I had a very plausible explanation.

So off I went to court to appeal the fine, more to see if the system works than to save myself the $32.

The system worked beyond my wildest expectations.

To begin with, the court was scheduled to begin at 5pm and anxiously, I arrived at 4.30 pm as did many other persons. They then registered us by the actual time you arrived so I was the second person called by the judge, who himself arrived early and started the hearings at 4.35 pm.

He found the plausible explanation I gave for my tardiness very reasonable and even congratulated me for speaking the truth for he commented that most times what he gets in the court is lies!

Having had my ticked invalidated, I reflected on the numerous times tried to get justice in traffic court in the own country.

THAT DOES NOT EXIST AS OUR COURTS  ARE OPERATED AS JUST ANOTHER REVENUE COLLECTING DEPARTMENT AND T0  BE REALLY EFFECTIVE, THEY DRAG OUT CASES UNTIL MOTORISTS ARE SO FRUSTRATED THAT THEY SIMPLY PAY THE FINE FOR A  PEACEFUL LIFE.

A most disgusting approach to justice.

The last time I decided not to be frustrated into paying the fine, it took me five times of wasting hours to attend the court,  to get the case dismissed. You see, the policemen who prosecuted me, refused to appear so the disgusting judge simply set a new date each time I went to court. It was only only on my 5th appearance when another policeman who must have seen my disgust and frustration told her that the policeman was on "long leave," so she reluctantly threw out the case.

When no policeman's presence is necessary as with a parking ticket, if one just goes to give a plausible explanation for a traffic infraction as I did last week, first, you are going to spend hours waiting for your case to be called and mine starts W, then, no matter how rational the explanation is,
you will never find a reasonable judge at traffic court in Jamaica.

I swear if I had a heart attack and had to be rushed to the hospital, I wouldn't be able to find a judge in traffic court in Jamaica to invalidate my ticket!

Imagine having to come to a foreign country to finally get justice! SMH
.

No comments: