Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Kidnapped!

 I don't think in ancient times, one could have had more privileges than those granted by the Roman Empire to its citizens. That is why the story in Acts of the Apostles about how the Centurian became afraid when he heard that St. Paul was a born Roman citizen, was significant.

Being an American citizen may not cause such fear and trembling, but it sure carries a few privileges internationally, not the least being that one does not need to have a visa to travel to numerous foreign countries. And when their citizens are abroad and encounter legal or other challenges, the American passport guarantees outstanding protection and representation from the embassies. 

So yes, I waited patiently to get a coveted American citizenship.

Problem is the creaking bureaucracy can detract from the benefits!

When I planned my trip to Southern Africa, the plan was to use my Jamaican passport since most countries in Africa do not require visas from us. Anyway, I had not yet become a citizen of that powerful country so I had no idea that my plans would be stymied by bureaucrats.

 What was I forced to learn was that the moment you become a US citizen, you must immediately get a US passport if you wish to travel outside of the country, for instantly the Green Card which you were initially issued is taken back. And since your visitors' visa to the USA which had been stamped in your native passport was cancelled when you got the Green Card, without the new passport you are stuck in the county.

So, how long does it take to get a US passport? Five to seven weeks IF YOU PAY TO HAVE IT EXPIDITED!

Unfortunately for me, I got my citizenship three weeks before I was due to take off to the motherland, so now I feel I have been kidnapped and detained by the system, as I can't leave the country until that cherished passport arrives some two weeks after I am due to depart.

Damn.

Did you know that in a ****hole country like Jamaica, you can get an expedited passport in a week?

Oh well, fortunately for me, my philosophy of life is that; Everything happens for the greater good.

So 2023, Southern Africa here I come as I wait to see what the greater good will be !


No comments: