Saturday, July 16, 2022

Kicking off the 60th.

 I love Jamaica Festival when we celebrate Jamaica’s independence from Britain.

I bet persons my age and older never forget where they were that night when the British flag was lowered and ours unfurled.

I know I can never forget, as I got in serious trouble.

Those were the days before cel phones and some friends and I sneaked away from St. Elizabeth and drove all the way to Denbeigh in Clarendon to enjoy the festivities.

We had a wonderful time but the repercussions were lasting.😢

We drove down to celebrate.

Anyway, I look forward to every festival celebration, the festival songs, the comradery, the street dancing, everything.

Last night, friends and I drove down to Miramar to help them kick off their festivities.

Miramar is a city in Broward Country, Florida which could probably be described as Kingston 22 . It has a population of around 135,00 but I bet the majority are Jamaicans as the mayor is Jamaican as are the other  4 elected commissioners who run the city.

Apart from the festivities, I was  drawn to the event by an item in the program indicating that the leader of the opposition from Jamaica, Mark Golding, would be saying a few words.

Mr. and Mrs Golding

Yu know, though retired, mi have the politrix inna mi blood still😁.

The event kicked off outside with refreshments,  music from Florida’s greatest Mento band, Tallawah, led by the versatile Colin Smith and much comradery.

Tallawah got things going

Then we repaired into the auditorium where the mayor of Miramar welcomed everyone and Wayne Armond, former leader of one of Jamaica’s best dance bands, Chalice, sang both the Jamaican and American National Anthems.

Wayne Armond sang the anthems.

Then Golding spoke.

I had never seen him in person nor heard him speak before, but he has a bad media image, so I was curious.

Normally when the politicians travel abroad, they are full of it.

It's normally all about how great they are and how terrible the other side is.

I was pleasantly surprised though as Golding did not go down that road at all. Instead, he spoke about our powerful culture, our influence throughout the world , our great philosophers like Garvey, and the need for us to unite to realize our full potential.

Wow, totally off the usual script.

It made me wonder if prime minister Holness, who is a post-independence baby too and whom I had never seen in person or heard speak live, has a similar outlook.

For that would really bode well for Jamaica.

Next came good entertainment by  Jamaica Folk Review, backed by Tallawah

Some young energetic dancers then followed.

Internationally famous dub poet Malachai  who never fails to excite, did two numbers.


Malachi on form

Some fashions were on display but the popular ones were Queen Nanny and Garvey.

Then Wayne Armond really riled up the crowd.

He had the auditorium on its feet as he pumped out popular revivalist and festival songs.

Then it was back outside for the street dance with music provided by a local Florida sound system.

They delivered popular festival songs, but the vibes of a real Jamaican street dance were not really there although we enjoyed ourselves.

It was a good start but I look forward to the real Mckoy in a few weeks back on the Rock.

Happy to see my long lost friend Norris.

Opposition spokesman on security appeared distracted

The police were on hand    
                

                                             

No comments: