Sunday, April 2, 2023

Forever grateful

I can’t believe the adventure/trip of a lifetime is over already!

Omg, it took months to plan and work out the logistics but it seemed to be over almost a few days after we got here.

But really I am looking at it from the wrong perspective, for in less than three weeks, I experienced things that had previously been distant dreams.

Like seeing the magnificent Victoria falls which defies imagination, seeing a huge assortment of animals operating in their natural environment, visiting Robben island and walking the king of beasts. 

I really can’t believe I did it all in such a short time!

There is no way any of this could have happened without Wendy. 

She told us where to go, where to stay, how to travel and was in constant touch to ensure that we didn’t fall by the wayside. (We did though, despite her best efforts 😊, but that’s life.)

It was a fateful day when I overheard my daughter speaking to her and thought I heard that she was living in Lesoto.

Kids playing football at Rhys’ and Nyah’s school 

Immediately afterwards I called and asked if I could visit her. That’s when she told me she was not in Lesoto but Zambia.

 Never mattered to me seriously though which country she was in.  

I just wanted the opportunity to visit the motherland once again😊.

When she said I could come, I was on cloud nine and now,  the rest is history.

Hanging out with Bolt while waiting to go to airport.

As we are leaving later today, Wendy picked us up and while she worked on-line, we hung out at her home before heading to the airport.

She took a break and we went with her to pick up the kids and see a bit of their school.

Secret Service planning the route for USA VP’s  visit later in the day.

Kamala Harris is here today, and while we weren’t there for her arrival later in the day, we saw preparations being made.

Incidentally, the food in Zambia is very similar to ours and that is another reason why I felt so at home there.

A very favorite dish of all Zambian’s is Nshima. It’s made from corn and as a lover of our own turned corn meal, I had hoped it was the same thing, just by another name.

Nshima

It isn’t and I never liked it when I had it at a restaurant in Livingstone, but when Wendy’s helper Ruth cooked it, I went for seconds!πŸ˜‹

I don’t know how we can ever repay Wendy for this has been the trip of a lifetime and here we are at her home, heading shortly to the airport. 

Yup all good things must come to an end but the memories will last forever.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous series and yes…good friend better than pocket money.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, nothing like staying with locals anywhere you visit!

Anonymous said...

Awesome awesome journey and thanks for taking us along!!!!

Anonymous said...

From reading all your articles I can tell it was time well spent. Memories will last forever. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely enjoyed your pursuits..fabulous and I just am in awe of your bravery..