Sunday, March 25, 2012

MY FIRST HINDU WEDDING

Yesterday I attended a Hindu wedding for the first time. I have been to a Hindu funeral and three times, I have gone to the function they hold every September to mourn the passing of those who have died and celebrate successes of the past year, but never a wedding.

My exposure to Hinduism has come through Kala Thakur, my aunt in law. She is from India and came to Jamaica many, many years ago when she got married to uncle Joe and all her children are born here.

It was Jayant, her second son who got married to Shanti Bagaloo at the Golden Room at Mona visitor's lodge and it was a great experience for me.To begin with, I have never before in my life been in a crowd with such a colourful and beautiful array of clothing for not only was there a profusion of saris decked with silver and gold threads, but the outfits worn by the men were as exquisite. And the bridegroom looked like a prince!

Jayant, the bridegroom
As to the decor. Whomever decorated that place should be declared national gem!

As the bridegroom arrived, we, his family lined up behind him, some moving to the pulsating of the drums which sounded more African than Indian. At the entrance he was met by the priest  and other men who performed rituals with lighted candles, flowers, water and something resembling little pieces of dough. Then the women gathered around him and performed similar rituals and planting kisses on him.                



Then he entered the hall where the ceremony was to be held and in there was  an attractively decorated booth looking like a tent, in which he was  put to sit. Apparently in the Hindu tradition women are not equal to men so although the bride had been there long before, she never entered until they had completed another ritual with Jayant alone in the tent.

She then entered preceded by a sari clad bridesmaids who walked down the aisle made from white cloth decorated with red rose petals all along the way.

The ceremony was of course conducted in Sanskrit which is a Liturgical language of Hinduism. so naturally I never understood a word. At one time I kept hearing the priest saying Lachme which I know to be the name Jayant's sister and also his cousin. It turns out that name means goddess and he was not talking about them at all! A word I did recognise however was Namaste for we say that in yoga when greeting others or departing, as it means God be with you.


I did notice that the family of both the bride and groom and the priest had taken off their shoes to enter the area where the marital rites were being conducted and also the bride sat to the right of the groom until the priest told us that they were now man and wife and she moved to his left side. I must say the priest was excellent. He explained everything to us as he went along and he was quite a comedian too.

 To solidify the union, not only did they exchange rings but also the lady in waiting had to tie a ceremonial knot and cover them with a cloth while Jayant put the red dot on her forehead to let the world know that she was now off the market. 

The incredulous thing about Hindu marriages  is that not only are the couple tied  together for this life but also for their next 7 lives. (Hindus, like me, believe in reincarnation.) I suppose that is why some brides throw themselves on the pyre when their husbands die!

After the ceremony we were all treated to lovely little boxes of Indian sweets and juices before dinner.
Kala, knowing that I am a pork fanatic, had warned me a couple days before that it was going to be a vegan meal and that made me quite apprehensive for the ceremony was very long and I was starving. I am here to tell you however that if it was all vegan, I could easily become one without even knowing it, for the food was really tasteful and I could not have asked for a greater meal.




It was for me an excellent experience all around.








2 comments:

barry said...

How come you weren't wearing any sari, turban and red lipstick?

joan williams said...

lol. Even if I had a sari, i would not even know hos to tie it!