Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Other Fish Dunn

Despite the common perception, I  did not sabotage my bicycle on the 18/3/2012!

Here we were, about thirty riders, going on the wonderful ride to the falls recommended by Alrick at 
Silver Hill, just above Buff Bay in Portland

The planned route was through the beautiful Blue and John Crow Mountain range to Section etc. As I left Hope Pastures in Kingston at about 5.30am,  my chain slipped off and my derailer got stuck in the back wheel. Despite the efforts of my super mechanic Howie, to solve the problem, because the derailer had become bent, I had to park the bicycle much earlier than I had planned to . For it had been my intention to ride to CafĂ© Blue in Irish town, drive up to Hollywell then cruise off the hill down to our destination.

My misfortune was  however Johan’s blessing, since he got a puncture and ended up having to borrow my back wheel. In the interim, I had to drive up to Cafe Blue. On the way up, we passed DamitFun and Thrills foundation member) riding with two friends to Newcastle.

When I got to Cafe Blue it as so cold  that I decided to take a hike to get warm. To just survive, I had to start off at a very fast pace just to stop myself from freezing to death, but soon I changed into high gear.   As I passed the UCC coffee factory, Clive caught up and rode beside me almost to Red light district. I could not believe that after he rode off, I never saw another cyclist for about an hour.

As I walked  alone enjoying the cool, peaceful, environment with the breeze whistling gently through the bamboo and fir trees, a red car drew up beside me and stopped. The gentleman  driving told me that from he saw the cyclists, he had been looking for me for on a previous ride into the area he and his friends had complained to me about not getting payment for their coffee delivered to Mavis Bank coffee factory and after I had exposed it on  radio, they had gotten a call  instructing them to pick up their money and he had wanted to tell me about it. After a few pleasantries, I asked him where the cyclists were and he said they could not catch up with  me before I got to Newcastle, for they were still in Irish town!

I continued my hike alone for quite a while, only seeing one hiker on her way down and a lone cyclist (not from our group) on his way up. Then just before I got to the shop at the Middleton turn off, I  heard another vehicle coming.  It was one of our support vehicles carrying Charles. He said he had to stop riding due to a pain in his groin . He however came out and started to hike with me. Then just outside of Newcastle the Chucks drove up with Theresa and her friend and they too started walking with us.

We were almost at Newcastle before another cyclist from our group caught up! It was Barry who sped past, then came Maurice followed closely by two others.

 By the time we got up to Newcastle about half of the other riders had arrived. We walked on to Hollywell by which time all the others had caught up, so that was a photo opportunity.

As  it was downhill all the away from there, we got into  various the support vehicles.

I had heard that the massive break away just below Section had been repaired, but it hasn’t. What they seem to have done is to have acquired some land from the coffee farmer whose property is to the west of the break away and paved what had previously been used as the informal access road.

Taking the bicycles by the foot path just above the massive break away is a treacherous task but only Orrel took  the bypass road as the others gingerly picked their way along the foot path. However Thomas assisted some of the ladies across.  As I drove slowly behind the riders with Derrick (Chuck) we really got the unique opportunity to appreciate the beauty of the Buff Bay valley with its profusion of colourful wild (and cultivated) flowers and huge flowering trees. Derrick told me yesterday that the magnificent tree with the colourful red flowers at the top which we in St.  Elizabeth call Flame of the Forrest is called Jackass piss by Portlanders who he asked. This is because it has water coming out of the flower, he says he was told. We live and learn!


All went well the rest of the way as the other break away we had encountered on the first ride had been repaired and the road was fairly ok except that we had to bypass the rickety and rusting bridge and travel through a fording at Wakefield.

When we got to Silver Hill I was surprised to see Charles sitting at the shop, for we had heard he had gotten lost (as usual) and ended up somewhere else. Most of the riders were also there. From Silver Hill , we proceeded west for about a half mile to the lovely waterfall called Fish Dun or Black bridge waterfall by local folk. This is on the way to Avocar where there is a catholic church and  Primary and Juniour High School. (There is another waterfall that we go to in Portland also called Fish Dun and Big Dun by some of the local people. This is on the Marley coffee plantation just above Crystal Springs on the way to Bybrook).

While most riders were enjoying the waterfall and river, because there was no sun to warm me up when I got out, I decided not to take on the cold water.

But it was almost noon and food was no where in sight, so I took a walk

Then I had the most fantastic and pleasant experience I have ever had for a long time.

 I walked back to the intersection to try and find some hot coffee but despite the fact that we were in coffee country, none was available for immediate consumption. Walking back to the waterfall, I saw a lady sweeping her veranda and playfully called out to her asking if she wanted to give me a cup of coffee. You could have hit me down with a straw as without batting an eyelash, she pleasantly said ‘of course” and asked how I wanted it!

I went into the yard and while she went to boil the water, I met her husband and kids. Her name is Donna Roberts and her husband is Horace. He is a driver for RADA who takes foodstuff for a co-op in St. Mary to  supermarkets in Kingston. They were a wonderful family and  Horace told me that he used to work in Kingston but moved back to his home some four years ago and  found life so much more fulfilling there. They were an absolutely wonderful family and I spent quite a while there with them.

When I got back to the group our lunch had arrived but the plates had run out but I was rescued by Theresa who gave me hers.

Would you believe though that without eating, Maurice (ride back) Clive and another fellow, rode back to Kingston over the hills! Absolutely amazing and when I got back to Michael’s house around 4pm they were already there waiting.

After lunch,  Michael, Howard, Barry and some others riders took the smart route, riding downhill all the way for about 8 miles to Buff Bay, where they were picked up by the support vehicles and transported home via the Junction route.

It was really a wonderful outing and thanks to water shy Alrick, we got to enjoy another fabulous waterfall.



For more photos, see;  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150748965861823.458988.763366822&type=1

1 comment:

joan williams said...

Thanks. I am sure when you get here you will be able to and have a wonderful time.