Sunday, April 7, 2013

Decameron Fun Caribbean Hotel is the Worst Hotel in the World!

In all my years of traveling to resorts all over the world, I have never experienced  a worst hotel than the Decameron Fun Caribbean Hotel in Runaway Bay Jamaica. 

For years, I along with family and friend  had been visiting Club Caribbean hotel  which operated EP with a number of lovely cottages on the beach and an absolutely well trained and friendly staff. This hotel was  later leased  to the Decameron group and turned into an all inclusive, and the service continued to be excellent.

Then Decameron leased a property next door which had previously been operated under the brand "Hedonism" and they branded it Decameron fun Caribbean while the original one remained as Decameron Club Caribbean.

About a month ago I made a reservation for the 4-6 April with Club Caribbean,  requesting  one of the two bedroom  cottages  behind the huge concrete chess board for myself and 2 other adults and baby. About a week before we were scheduled to arrive, I was informed that they did not have a cottage at Club Caribbean, so  we would be transferred be to Fun Caribbean next door and  they even gave us free massages to compensate. No problem for me . Nothing wrong with a new experience  I thought/

Well  I was certainly wrong for everything was wrong with the new experience at Fun  Caribbean.

We were met  by a friendly receptionist who greeted us with a smile, but because she was busy with another check in, she called to another lady to deal with us. Well you would have thought  that she was asked to kill herself, based on her non-verbal response and the look she gave the other lady. I had to  ask her immediately why she was so unpleasant! Without an unnecessary word or any form of pleasantness, she proceed to process our reservation, never once explaining what she had to do during the periods we had to wait .

In the end she handed me one key and when I expressed alarm how  she expected the three adults  to be  in one room with a baby,  a series of phone calls begun, between her and others and my myself and the lady with whom the original reservation had been made.

 In the interim, I suggested that my son-in law and daughter go ahead to the room with the baby as they had been traveling all day with a small baby. Would you believe although that was said in front of her, she did not call a bell hop or give them directions to the room for about 5 minutes till I told her what to do!

While waiting on the absent bell hop, my son in law went to the nearby bar too get something to drink, only to return empty handed as he said the female bar tender looked straight at him, did not say a word then walked away.  Not a word as to whether she would be back shortly or anything!

Eventually, since it was late, we were not getting anywhere as they said they had no more rooms  and I was tired,  I agreed to the one room,  since it was only two days and they told me it was a  large suite.

But lo and behold,  we were only given one key for three adults and when we got to the room, the straw that broke the camel's back was when we discovered there were only two towels in the room for three adults and a childThat just did it,  for they knew long before that Club Caribbean was sending over  there were 3 adults and a child. That's when we decided that we wanted to go back to Club Caribbean and take any rooms they had there. 

We were given two room, side by side at the "Courtyard" and spent a wonderful two days there,  served by the friendly, professional staff and entertainment co-ordinators there who have made that hotel the highly rated property that it is.

Fun Caribbean? Never again and I will  certainly tell all who will listen about them.


No comments: