Thursday, April 11, 2013

Grandkids


I don't know who said "If I knew grandchildren were so great I would have had them first" but I concur 100%.

The first week of April 2013 was probably the best of my life as it is the closest thing to a family reunion that I have had in years, with my only daughter, only grandson and only granddaughter all here with me at once.

It is  kind of  frightening though to have to admit that I have a grandson almost 18 years old, who will be off to university in September,  for that brings me face  to the reality of old age and the numerous miseries that accompany those fading years.

But that's just a fleeting thought, for the years with Shadrach growing up with me until he was twelve and migrated to the USA are replaceable and leave several wonderful memories etched in my heart.

Madelynn is another experience all by itself since I have seen very little of her since I left Denver after she was born. I think I have been back once and she has been to Jamaica twice, so we have to do something to up the experiences for she is quite something.

To begin with, outside of grandma Williams, I have never met another who could chat  non stop whether anyone was listening or not! So on the way to Runaway Bay, she did not sleep a wink but talked all the way there and all the way back!

Then there was that maturity which I saw at her cake cutting.

 On Sunday when her grandfather had a party to welcome them, I had gotten a special small cake for her (she turns 2  on the 23rd) but she fell asleep and could not cut it so we had a few kids around on Tuesday night for ice cream and cake.


After cutting the cake and playing with the other kids for a while, she suddenly declared out of the blue, "I am tired, I am going to bed now!" and headed to her room where her mom had to dress her, put her in the crib before returning to to the party.

About ten minutes later, she reappeared declaring "I am good now so I am back "  and resumed playing with the other kids as if nothing had happen ed.

Us adults were  absolutely speechless for most of us had  had never seen or heard of a 2 year old kid putting herself  to bed then returning when when rested.

She is absolutely phenomenal and now that Shadrach is relocating next door to Tampa, Florida, I am certainly going to be spending a lot more time reveling in the joys of  grandmotherhood..

No comments: