Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Reflections on aging

As I believe in reincarnation, I have no great interest in too long a life this time around.

My fervent hope is that when I can no longer be independent, including driving myself around, I will quickly transition into the next life.

Not often, but occasionally, I do see some older people who are really doing well who make me rethink my messages sent to the universe. 

Many of them, very fit eighty-five and up, attend exercise classes at the Tamarac Senior Center which I frequent. I always try and seek out such persons to see if they will impart some little special secret on how to live a long, healthy life.

My latest role model did not come from via that route though.

A happy Violet Edwards trailed by her daughter Dr. Christine Edwards

Her name is Violet Edwards and like me, she is a Jamaican. But that is where the similarity ends, for this lady is 96 years old and has just graduated with her Associate Degree in Science and Liberal Arts and rumor has it that she plans to move towards getting the full Bachelors!

Only five women have ever been recorded anywhere in the world, as getting a college degree while in their nineties.

AND A JAMAICAN IS ONE!

Can you imagine still studying at age 96 and beyond? 

Thats's just so awesome!

According to my information, Ms. Edwards postponed her college studies when she was younger, to put her daughter through medical school.

That sacrifice has paid huge dividends, not only for her family also but for numerous families in Coral Springs and surrounding areas, where Dr. Edwards, a Perinatologist, has an invaluable practice.

Consul General Oliver Mair presents the plaque.

So, while the world languished and fretted over Covid and other distractions, Ms. Edwards had returned to her studies and at a ceremony in Parkland, Florida on Saturday 25th June 2020, she was presented with a well deserved Proclamation by Oliver Mair, Jamaica’s Consul General to Miami.

Many kudos to Ms. Violet Edwards, who attended Happy Grove High School in Portland, Jamaica, the parish of her birth.

And now she is giving back to young people in her country with a scholarship.

You can tell that keeping her mind active has had an astounding effect on her body also, for what part of this lady looks 96?

If I can look as young as she does and have the brilliant mind that she must have, I won’t grumble at all if I actually live to be 100!


No comments: