Monday, March 27, 2023

Home at last😊

 As I flew over Zambia, it was as if I had reached my beautiful home, Jamaica.



The place is absolutely sunny, green and lush and I actually got to see the wonderful Victoria falls from the air. 

It was even more amazing than I had ever thought for as far back as I can remember, I had always wanted to visit that place described as one of the wonders of the world. 

It’s in Livingstone, which is really flat as it’s in a valley. 

I didn’t get a pic from the air, but the pic in my mind is forever etched. 😊

Airlinks lunch boxes are so attractive 

We had left the hiccup in Johannesburg behind and had arrived via Airlink that lovely little South African airline which calls itself ‘domestic’ but it is clearly regional, as Zambia is definitely not part of South Africa!

I think the different feeling I got immediately about Zambia was because of the climate. 



Cape Town is absolutely beautiful but it tends to be bleakly. As I landed in Zambia a warmth embraced as  it must have been in the 80’s. 



Yup, my type of climate. 

Oh how I love my friend Wendy.❤️



She is a Jamaican who has made Zambia her home for the past 7 years but knows the entire region like the back of her hand. 

Without her, we would never have this wonderful adventure as she has directed us every step of the way, (except on how to get left at an airport).

Look at the Airbnb she recommended for us!



I can’t wait to get to Lusaka to see her and meet her family for I really haven’t seen her for about 20 years.

And Ian and Sue who own the lovely Airbnb have been super helpful,  from the past few weeks, long before we got here. 

Ian took us into Livingstone where we got some stuff, tried some local food and walked home.

Interestingly, on our walk home, we saw a lady and her school-age son, walking and eating these grape looking things.

 They offered us some and the young man even went and picked some more. We were warned that if they touch the outside of your mouth it itches.


 It did.

Coincidence was, she works right at the crocodile farm right beside our home.

Small world.

 I feel so at home here that ever since I arrived, the words to the signature song made by the late, great Peter Tosh aka stepping razor, have been swirling in my head.

Don't care where you come fromAs long as you're a black man, you're an AfricanNo mind your nationalityYou have got the identity of an African. 
'Cause if you come from Clarendon (you are an African)And if you come from Portland (you are an African)And if you come from Westmoreland, you're an African
So don't care where you come fromAs long as you're a black man, you're an AfricanNo mind your nationalityYou have got the identity of an African. 
Amén
I now know the difference between 3 g, 4 g and 5 g. 
With 3 g you can do almost nothing on the internet. With 4g It takes forever to upload pics so g although this blog is written on 24th March, I really don’t know when I can publish it 😡. 
They say you don’t miss something until you lose it. Well I really miss 5 .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the armchair tour Joan. Appreciate it

Anonymous said...

My friend you're having such a time in such a wonderful place I'm jealous. Keep safe and get back to your other country safe and sound

Anonymous said...

Great series

Lisa Wilson said...

I am so glad that you feel at home in Zambia. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Very good reporting on your tour. Thanks for all the information.

Anonymous said...

You're right..sounds just like Ja, except for the itchy grapes..hope you've learned how to eat them by now😋

Anonymous said...

Zambia sounds friendly and more like Jamaica. Thanks for the perspective. Oh, we have 5g in Jamaica.