Sunday, November 1, 2009

No Malaria in Jamaica

Would you believe that my daughter Michele was called on to give blood in Denver, Colorado where she lives, and when they heard she had spent 10 days in Jamaica in the summer, they told her she could not give blood for a year? Why? According to the Centre for Disease Control (CDC), there is a high incidence of malaria in Jamaica, hence the restriction.

That is absolutely not true however, as the World Health Organization web page on travel restrictions gives no such warnings. Besides while it is a fact that we had a small outbreak of malaria about two or three years ago, that was dealt with successfully long ago.

Michele’s blood type is A negative, a type shared by only 6% of the world’s population. So they called her as someone needed that type urgently.

I think the approach of the CDC is quite backwards for what they do in Jamaica is, after the blood is taken, they test it for diseases etc. By so doing, they do not turn away donors who they may never see again, but get rid of the blood after the fact, if it is in any way defective.

I remember last year when my very dear friend Hilma Walker was in hospital on the verge of death, because she too had that rare blood type, it was touch and go for her for days. We only got some relief when a public appeal was made on radio for that blood type. After that, some of the persons with A negative started an association aimed at bringing in all who shared the type and to build up reserves.

Anyway, I told Michele to save her blood and give it when she comes to Jamaica next April for the triathlon, for we are in critical need for that type of blood. I was thinking of Hilma when I said that to her,but unfortunately Hilma died on October 28th, four days before her 58th birthday. My heart is broken by her untimely departure although I knew she was very ill. Anyway her courage was such that we simply forgot her illness and always assumed that she would have lived forever. Unrealistic I know but what can I tell you?

My heart goes out especial to her children, Marsha and Jerome, especially, Jerome.This is not only because he is my godson extremely close to his mother, but also because at the tender ago of 28, he has high blood pressure.....no doubt brought on by the pressure of his mother's illness, something he felt helpless about.

He is a medical student with only two years to go. Even if he had been fully qualified he could not have helped her as her time had come. She had fought well but some things are just beyond the human spirit as much as we would like to think we are in control.

God go with Hilma and I know I will never forget her.

No comments: