Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ethiopian Food

Last night I had the best food I have ever eaten since coming to Denver some ten weeks ago. This was at an Ethiopian restaurant downtown with my daughter Michele and son in law Devin. The name of the restaurant is Arada which means downtown in English and it is literally located downtown.

While the accolades about the food  that I saw on the wall all spoke to vegetarian food, I am strictly a carnivore and man is their food good.'

We started with a triangular shaped meat pie with very crisp pastry called Sambosa and since Ethiopian culture is much older than  ours, we were wondering if that's where our original patty maker got his/her idea from for that delicious Jamaican item.

The we had some Hummos which consists of a roti like bread served with spicy chickpeas.


Then came the main course. Interestingly, at that restaurant, eating utensils are not used for anything but to serve. Instead, each course has a different type of flat bread (like roti) with which to eat the meat. I did not particularly like the bread, made from wheat, which was served with the main course. The one we got with the chickpeas was much better. But boy the spic, well seasoned  beef, lamb, peas and corn which came as the fillings were so delicious that I did not stop to think about which bread was best until I was totally filled to the point of suffering from "....itis!"

My only regret is that I did not know about this restaurant until two days before I departed, for if I did, it would have been my favourite haunt, (although they do not serve pork) throughout!

No comments: