Monday, October 31, 2022

David versus Goliath?


David versus Goliath was the first thought that entered my mind as we drove into the parking lot by  Café Cita on the beach in Hallandale Beach. 

 For there it was dwarfed by those monstrous high rises!

La Cita (blue building in center) dwarfed by high rises

I have never been to this place before or even to Hallandale Beach, but when our new friend Rosa from Guatemala who we had met on a recent camping trip, suggested we get together, Sonja picked this spot. 

Campers and friends

And it was perfect. 

Here was this little café on the beach, surrounded by huge high-rise apartments.

I have seen many sob movies about little establishments rejecting offers to be bought out by huge corporations who want to swallow them up in the interest of development. 

Some even use dirty tricks in these movies. 

That’s my David versus Goliath scenario!

I have no idea if it is so in this case, but that was the first thought that crossed my mind.

It’s a nice little place. Not elaborate dining but it has everything you could want if you are going to the nearby beach.

And what we ordered, tasted good.

The South City Beach Park establishment led by Mayor Joy Cooper and her deputies, could do the public a favor by organizing proper and regular cleaning of the restroom next door however. 

They have been quick to put up their plaque promoting their existence, but wouldn’t it be better if they concentrated on organizing to keep the public facility in good condition, wouldn’t you say?

For it is right beside this nice little 'food place 😡

But back to la Cita.

The service is a bit slow but it is understandable as only one gentleman was inside doing everything.

He also expanded my knowledge in a big way.

It was Sonja who asked him why the palm trees had metal strips around the trunk, and the explanation was most welcome.

For he told us that it was to keep the iguanas out of the trees!

I celebrate anyone who will keep iguanas at bay.

For, if it is one thing I hate, it is lizards.

 Big lizards, little lizards, all lizards.

 They make my skin crawl. Yuk.

Can you also imagine if he hadn’t put that metal around the trunk of the tree and an iguana had climbed up and fallen out of the tree near us! 

Or worse, if its feces had fallen out the and landed on our table! 

That would for me, have been a fate worse than death. 

So, I was happy the operator of Cafe Cita saved us from that possibility. 

I did find the little curled up tail lizards hanging around for food, a bit too friendly for my liking

And they wouldn’t move when I tried to shoo them away.😡

In front of the café is the beach and its ok as Florida beaches go.

Cold and rough.

You probably don’t know my bias, but coming from Jamaica, my standards are super-high when it comes to beaches.

So, I am not too impressed with Florida’s beaches and have only ever entered one!

But Cafe Cita by Hallandale Beach is a nice place to hang out with friends.


                                                  FOND MEMORIES








No comments: