Sunday, June 18, 2023

Jottings on Ghana


There are 54 nations in Africa and although I have only visited just over 10%, this was my first trip to West Africa where you find Ghana and from where most slaves were shipped. 


We stayed at Labadia Beach hotel and I loved the carvings in the lobby and the general feel of the place. 



In general, the hotel was lovely. Here Cheryl and I lounge around by the pool😁

The 'beach' is however the Atlantic Ocean, so it is rough and cold.


That's the ocean across which the murderers sailed to transport slaves from Africa to the west.

I am told that when it rains, Ghanaians use nets to collect items, even gold, that wash up from the deep where many ships lay.

The beach is full of vendors' stalls

On arriving in Accra, I was immediately stuck by how much it looked like my capital city,  Kingston. 

The roads are choking with traffic and the sidewalks are overwhelmed by vendors' stalls and hustling pedestrians. And many buildings and developments appear totally unplanned in certain areas, just like in Kingston.


One Ghanaian Cedi resembles a Jamaican $20 coin. Their currency is much stronger than ours, 10 Cedi to 1 US$.

However the population of Accra is twice that of Kingston (Accra 2.6 Millon Kingston 1.5 million) so it's proportionate.

The organizer of our trip is Samantha Daniels out of Texas. However she is now Ghanian citizen and is actively encouraging African Americans to invest in Ghana. 

As a result she has been designated Queen Mother.

Queen mother Samantha (right), donated some essentials to a primary school principal in Krobo.

I learned that in Ghana, boys and girls attending government schools from kindergarten up to University level, must wear their hair trimmed very low. 

It is said this is to prevent them being distracted by vanity!


At first, I was appalled to hear this, but if it works for them, who the hell am I to criticize? 

Just a week ago, I hear, four rebellious would-be Rastafari, were expelled from public school for growing their hair.


 In Ghana today, elections are due this year.

The presidential election will be held in December 2024, so political activity is in full swing.

The main parties are NPP (currently in government) and NDC, the main opposition party.


A presidential term is for four years but the president can run for a second term. 

 If a president is ousted after four years, he can try for a comeback of another four year term some time later.


Ghana is not known for a wide variety of animals like what you see in say, Kenya or Botswana, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a group of baboons hanging out on the sidewalk on our way to our naming ceremony in  Odumase Krobo.

 (https://joan-myviews.blogspot.com/2023/06/a-cultural-awakening.html?m=1)
 





I also learned that Accra is close to Benin, the oil- rich state of Nigeria.  (1.20 minutes by air,7 hours by car).

Well, we saw some evidence of Nigerian affluence right here at our hotel where quite a few birthday celebrations were being held. 

The one that really stood out was the 50th birthday celebrations for a Nigerian lady.

Her party started with breakfast on Friday, dinner and dance Friday night then a big ball on Saturday night followed by clubbing.

A ballroom being constructed for the Saturday night ball for the 50th anniversary.

Angel wing decoration in front of the room where the Friday dinner and dance were held.

Friday morning breakfast to kick off the 50th anniversary celebrations.


Fabulous outfits were everywhere from Friday morning.

A portrait of the lady holding the birthday bash.

Seeing it all brought back my regrets for turning down a proposal from a Chief from Benin many decades ago.

He had come to Jamaica to marry his 5th wife, bringing in  his guests in by two private 747's no less.

At the reception, he and I were dancing  when he declared confidently that I would be his 6th wife if I would put on some weight.( Yup, I was once slim😁). 

I laughed then.

Now I am crying for being so stupid when I was young!😡

Some scenes from downtown.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this blog, Enlightening and hilarious!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, cuz. Thanks for revealing another part of the world for me, in your inimitable style. - Junior

Anonymous said...

Lots of laughs in this one. Nearly 6th wife hahaha. I always wondered why the girls' hair were all the same, so short. Thanks for clearing that up.

Anonymous said...

Wow thanks for sharing. A real adventure for sure. Maybe there r a few elderly chiefs looking for another bride lol