Sunday, July 15, 2012

No Berka for Me.

Every now and then when I listen or read the news, I say to myself, thank God I was born in Jamaica.

This is in reaction to hearing about the trials and tribulations some women have to live with because of culture, religion etc.  However, rarely do I reflect on how men feel about some situations, but then,  why should I, after all, I ain't no man!

Anyway the other day I was at the pool with my daughter and granddaughter when Michele pointed out a family in the pool to me.

There were two small kids who meshed in beautifully with every one else, but guess what, not only did the mom have on a Berka, but she was fully clad to from head to foot...... long sleeves and all.

Well I have often seen Arab women on the streets dressed like that but had never considered that they had to go into swimming pools fully clad.

I also learnt that not only cant they expose flesh, but no hair either, so the Berka was tied at the back around the hair so then even when she went underwater, no hair showed. She looked quite happy while there I was  feeling sorry for her. I guess when you are born in a culture and live that way all my your life, it just comes naturally.

That's when I started to think like man at home in Jamaica,  for many men there, go to the beach and pools just to feast their eyes on flesh. 

We laughed as we discussed what Jamaican men would do if a similar dress code applied to women at home.

But it couldn't really because for Jamaican women it would be death before dishonour!

Actually, recently I read where a woman, somewhere in Canada, went to court to go topless, because no one bothers men when they do  that, so she claimed discrimination.

Actually, when I reincarnate, if that is not the law in the place where I am born, I will be going to court  too, to file a similar suit!

You see I already have many plans for my next life all sorted out. lol.

2 comments:

Barry said...

Nice article Joan.
In England when I would occassionally see a woman wearing a berka, all I did was glance over and carry on. It was my female accomplices who usually commented, saying things like "Look at that ridiculous thing they have to wear. Don't they know they're in England now?"

I once went to the Indian annual dance in London at the invitation of my ebullient Indian accountant. I was the only non-Indian in the whole place. All the females wore long sari-type dresses draped with jewellery.

One such lady was sitting beside me and we chatted and then danced. She had a nice smiling personality and told me that everybody was looking at me. Anyway, she phoned me a few days later in her Indian accent and asked me to pick her up at home. I did and we drove around, then she suggested we buy some dinner and have it at my place. So said, so done, but afterwards she took off her clothes to reveal a lovely sexy body and suggested we have sex, saying she has not been getting any! That knocked me into re-thinking of ladies in berkas and saris as normal people just wearing different clothes.

joan williams said...

I love that story Barry. A member of your navy once told me that he learnt to tell the agfes of women dressed that way by their toes!

AApparently depite severe restrictions in such countries, some do work as prostitutes! he said he had the shock of his life at times when disrobing such ladies who could be up to 70 yera old. lol. You were therefore very lucky.