Thursday, July 19, 2012

THAT GAY RODEO...(Bun fya Sizzla!)

I love gay men for I  generally find them to be the nicest, kindest and most considerate men around and most importantly they tend yo be great cooks.

I am talking about real gay men though, not the ACDC's who jump from pillar to post and have brought aids into female circles. Those I have no use for.

So when I heard they were having a gay rodeo at Jefferson fairgrounds in Colorado, you know who had to go.  (Evangelical christians, eat your hearts out!)



 I expected to see a lot of this, but didn't!!

Actually I have never seen a real rodeo, so even if it was not promoted as one being put on by the gay rodeo association, I would probably have gone, since it was just at Golden, only about 15 miles out of town.

Of course I had expected to see the men exotically decked out,  most likely in women outfit. Well I was disappointed, for apart from two who I saw dressed as women and the one above,  all others were in cowboy outfits. And while it was promoted as a gay event, the vast majority of people I saw there were male gay couples, about 95%, with only a small number of lesbian couples. My daughter thought we could pass as a lesbian couple with me being the sugar momma and she the boopsie. lol. (We did see one or two who appeared to be such!)

The odd couples there were of course the heterosexual ones and they were only a few and an even smaller number of families.

When Michele asked one of the attendants if it was ok to leave her daughter's stroller at the bottom of the stairs, he laughed and said it was safe as gay couples don't have children. (He seems to forget that some do adopt kids.)

Looking around at the couples there destroyed some of my myths, for I always thought that one of the male partners would always look effeminate, but I saw a profusion of male couples where they both looked like he men (an absolute waste) but that really got my imagination running to hell.





There were not too many black people there (Colorado is only 4% black anyway) and of the 42 members of the organising committee who were introduced, only one was a blak man and he actually did some riding in the precision event.  However, I saw a black man with locks coming in with his white partner and wondered what Sizzla would have sung ( or DJ'd ) if he saw that. lol.

I was curious as to why they were having a gay rodeo instead of the gay people entering the regular rodeo and although I asked three persons who appeared to be part of the organisation, none could give me an answer. (I subsequently learnt that at a regular rodeo, one is required to stay on the raging bull for a minimum of 8 minutes. Obviously from what I saw, these men would not qualify hence they started their own!) Anyway, this was the 30th time the gay rodeo association was holding and event and this time they were joined by persons from the Canadian and Mexican associations.

 I found it all curious since if it was not promoted as a gay event, no one would have known, for they operated like all the other rodeos I have seen on television. I guess I had expected them to at least be in wigs and dresses, riding a kicking bull, but no such luck. The only difference I saw was that none stayed on very long on the raging bull...no more that about 2 seconds at the most. 



 Who am I  to judge anyway,  since my experience with rodeos s watching Chuck Connors in Walker Texas Ranger and you know, since it's television,  he stays on the back of the raging bull forever!


It was quite a pleasant and interesting day although I did take umbrage to the fact that because I had no identification, I was told I could not visit the bar tent. I would have been on top of the world if the age requirement was 50 and over, but because it was 21, I thought it totally ridiculous. I can only assume that they must have concluded that we were not gay and did not want us to go into the liquor tent after the show to observe their shenanigans while under the influence !

No comments: